There is nothing heavenly than waking up to freshly baked bread! I lovee the smell of freshly baked bread. It makes me giddy! lol! Ever since I started trying my hands on baking, bread has become one of the favourite things I enjoy making. Well, burger buns to be specific! lol! It’s very simple to make and doesn’t even require you to have a mixer. All you need are your pretty hands, a mixing bowl, a flat surface for kneading, an oven ( of course!) and your ingredients.
Anyone else baking up a storm lately? I normally buy my buns, but with the recent pandemic, going out to the grocery store is a whole event for me. From masking up, to waiting in a queue to enter into the shop all while observing social distancing and sanitising after touching every surface, it has been WORK! But all this is very NECESSARY! I recently had a craving for burgers and didn’t want to go to the store so instead, I whipped up this hamburger bun recipe and I was surprised by how easy they were, not to mention delicious!
This makes 4 burger buns, but I made 8 small burger buns out of it. Hope you enjoy the process as much as I did.
Burger Bun Recipe
- 90ml warm milk
- 1 tbs sugar
- 200g flour (bread flour)
- 1 tsp grated nutmeg
- 5g instant yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg ( plus 1 egg for eggwash)
- 15g butter (melted)
- sesame seeds for sprinkling
- Add yeast and sugar to the warm milk in a bowl and mix. Let it stand for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, mixture should be foamy.
- In another bowl, sift the flour in a bowl. Add salt and nutmeg and mix it.
- Crack one egg into the flour mixture and add the melted butter. Mix it all up with your hands or a spatula ( its gets messy here. but mix it preferably with your hands) and knead until you get a smooth and elastic consistency.
- Oil the mixing bowl and place the dough in it. Cover it with a damp cloth and stick it in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 4 (or 8 small) equal pieces; shape each dough into a ball and place them on a greased or lined baking sheet.
- Cover with a kitchen towel and let it rest for 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C. After 20 minutes, brush the buns with an egg wash, then sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake at 200 degrees C for 15 – 20 minutes until it’s golden brown.
- To make an egg wash, simply mix one egg yolk with 1 tablespoon of water.
- Store buns in an airtight container for up to 2 days or freeze for up to a month
Did you like this recipe?
Please comment, rate and share!