My niece turned 4 years old last week and I really enjoyed baking her a birthday cake. She is the most cheekiest munchkin on this planet and I bet you can tell how immensely fond I am of her! In fact I am extremely fond of my little gang (nephews and nieces). She literally makes me happy even though she is stubborn sometimes but I wouldn’t have it any other way! lol.
A week to her birthday, little missy called me and specifically told me what she wanted. Wow! That little girl is so eloquent at her age and has such an expensive taste! She wanted a big cake with strawberries, blueberries and chocolates. So guys, I literally had to ensure that lil mama got what she wanted!
Here is the recipe from scratch. If you try it out, please let me know how it turned! I’d really love to see! Just tag me in your photos @artandfoodgeek on instagram. I had fun making this and hope you do too!
To make this Chocolate and Vanilla Cake with Vanilla Buttercream Icing you will need:
- 1 & 3/4 cup all purpose flour (soft flour)
- 7 tbsp softened butter (original recipe said 1 cup but who wants to live long? Me!)
- 1/2 cup sugar (brown sugar)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/3 cup milk (about 5 tbsp)
- 1/3 cup hot coffee (1 tbsp coffee powder in about 5 tbs hot water)
- 1 tsp powdered nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
For the Chocolate cake add these ingredients to the above ingredients
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 Chocolate bar (Kingsbite chocolate broken to little pieces)
- Sugar Sprinkles
- Chocolate Sprinkles
- 150g unsalted butter, soft
- 340g Icing sugar, sifted
- 3-4 tbsp whole milk
- food color
- Preheat oven to Gas Mark 5. Line the base of two cake tins with parchment paper and grease the sides of the tin.
- In a large mixing bowl cream the butter and sugar together for about 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition. Next mix in the vanilla extract.
- Mix the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg). Add the cocoa powder if making chocolate cake.
- Now gently fold in the flour mixture and mix together. Add the milk and hot coffee to the batter and mix till there are no lumps. (Add the chocolate at this stage when making the chocolate cake)
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared cake tin and shake it to set it in the pan
- Bake the cake for 30-45 minutes. You can also stick a toothpick in the cake and once it comes out clean, it indicates that the cake is ready.
- Leave the cake to completely cool before putting the buttercream icing on it. I usually leave the cake in the fridge overnight and work on the buttercream icing the following day.
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting method:
- Beat the butter on a medium speed for about 2 minutes until smooth with a stand mixer, or a hand mixer. The color of the butter will change at this stage to a lighter color.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time and mix at low speed.
- Mix the vanilla extract with the milk and at this stage you can also add your food color. Pour the mixture into the mixer
- Mix on low until the ingredients are fully incorporated, and the desired consistency is reached.
- Apply the frosting on the cake in layers (see video tutorial in the link below) and arrange the strawberries and blueberries on the cake. Sprinkle some sugar sprinkles on the base of the cake and on top. Sprinkle the chocolate sprinkles as well.
- Keep the cake in the fridge until ready to consume.
Cake frosting procedure:
- The brand of butter you use has a huge impact on the taste and color of your frosting and the taste of your cake as well!
- If the frosting is too thick, add in additional milk (1 Tbsp at a time). If the frosting is too thin, add in more powdered sugar (quarter of a cup at a time).
- Completely towel dry your fruits before decorating the cake with it.
- The instant coffee enhances the flavor of the chocolate cake. I also love how it tastes when I add it to my vanilla cake.
- Sometimes adding a tablespoon of lemon juice minimises the taste of egginess in your cake.
If you love this recipe, let me know and leave a comment below!
❤ ❤ ❤