Frittata is an egg-based Italian dish similar to an omelette or crust-less quiche or scrambled eggs, enriched with additional ingredients such as meats, cheeses or vegetables. The word “frittata” is Italian and roughly translates to “fried”.
This dish is very easy to make and can be prepared in less than one hour. I was lucky to have been at the right place at the right time as Chef Gideon decided to show off his culinary skills. On Fathers day last month, he decided to whip up this meal for his family and yours truly. Gideon’s Frittata was one of a kind! He added very ripe plantains (fried by the way) and lots of assorted meat. Once I bit into it, I was sold! lol! It took the Grace of God not to devour the whole casserole dish. I mean the dish was THAT GOOD! The juices from the assorted meat and the sweetness of the plantain hit the right places in my mouth!
I kid you not, this dish is the BOMB! Probably the next best thing after Jollof! Ghana Jollof to be specific.
Knowing your girl, I tried my hands on this dish and shared it with my nieces! I loved it and of course they loved it too! Listen, try this out and thank me later! Here are the ingredients and the instructions. Do let me know if you’ve tried this before and enjoy it as much as I do now!
PS: I don’t do measurements. I just gauge with my eyes, hahahah!! I also throw the spices in till I hear my ancestors say “it is enough my child”. Hahah!!!
- Assorted Meat: chicken sausage, beef mortadella, minced meat (you can throw in any protein of your choice!)
- Bell Peppers (Red, Yellow, Green). 1 each
- Cheese (mozzarella and Cheddar)
- 1 full Onion
- 6 Eggs
- Overripe plantain
- Spices ( cayenne pepper, garlic and ginger powder and any of your favourite mixed spices)
- Peel plantains and cut them up in thin slices (not plantain chips kind of thin). Sprinkle a little salt and fry it in oil like how you would normally fry your plantains. Remove it from oil and place it on a paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
- Put some oil – about 2 tablespoons in a skillet ( I’m just forming posh! Oya put oil in whatever utensil you have) and put it on medium heat. Throw in your onions, sprinkle some garlic and ginger powder and saute until your ancestors say its perfecto! Place the sauteed onions aside and do same with the chopped bell peppers, sausage, mushrooms and beef mortadella.
- Put some oil in a pan and cook the minced meat. Add some salt, mixed spices of your preference, ginger and garlic powder and stir till it’s cooked.
- In a large bowl, crack in all the eggs. Add cayenne pepper and some salt and whisk to combine.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (I usually just turn the knob to the highest to get the oven super hot before the dish goes in)
- Now find a casserole dish or baking dish and start layering all the ingredients. I start with the minced meat followed by the sauteed bell peppers and onions, mushrooms, chicken sausage, fried plantain, beef mortadella and repeat till the casserole dish looks full.
- Pour the beaten eggs over the dish and sprinkle the mixed cheese on top of it.
- Place the casserole bowl in the preheated oven and bake for 35 minutes. once the time is up, turn off the oven and Let it stay in it for about 5-10 minutes.
- Take it out and dish it.